Root and Install TWRP Recovery on LG V20 (Disable Force Encrypt)
Now you can easily Root and Install TWRP Recovery On LG V20. As we know bootloader of LG v20 is unlockable and users who already unlock its bootloader looking for a way root LG V20. But direct installation of TWRP is not available due to a secure system. But with the help of Dirty Cow exploit and using recowvery exploit you can install TWRP recovery on your LG V20. Here we share how to Root and Install TWRP Recovery on LG V20. First, you need to install TWRP Recovery on LG V20 and then flash SuperSu to Root LG V20. Follow this guide to Root and Install TWRP Recovery On LG V20.
If you are an LG V20 user, then you can Root LG V20 and Install TWRP Recovery On it. Thanks to developer jcadduono for providing a workaround to install TWRP on LG V20 using the Dirty Cow root exploit in the kernel. So here is the step by step guide to Root and Install TWRP Recovery on LG V20. Read the below note carefully before you Root and Install TWRP Recovery on LG V20.
Some benefits of Rooting LG v20 –
- You can install custom ROM and custom kernel on your device for faster and better performance.
- Block Ads in apps with the help of ad blocker.
- Increase performance and battery life by killing background process automatically.
- After you root Android 7.0 LG v20 and install custom recovery, you can install Xposed Framework (not available for now) to customize your device
- You can use Titanium Backup to restore all of your apps and data.
- You can uninstall bloatware (Pre-installed Apps)
- Rooting may void your phone warranty, and you won’t claim it back.
- Follow the steps correctly otherwise you may brick your device. We are not responsible for any damage to your phone.
- It will erase all your phone data, so we advise you first to take a complete backup of your phone and then proceed.
- Ensure that your phone has at least 50-60% charged to prevent the accidental shutdown in-between the process.
Files required to Root and Install Custom Recovery on LG V20 –
- Download ADB and fastboot driver for windows or ADB and Fastboot for Mac and install it on your PC. This will also install your device driver.
- Download and install Drivers for LG V20
- Download TWRP 126.96.36.199 Recovery for LG V20 and place it in the folder where ADB installed and rename it to ‘twrp.img’.
- Download recowvery binaries (you need to download all of these)
- Download Dm Variety disabler for LG v20
- Download SuperSu to root LG V20 and copy it to your phone sd card.
Steps to Root and Install TWRP Recovery on LG V20 –
Install Temporary TWRP on LG V20 –
1) First enable USB debugging from setting>developer option>. To enable Developer Options, go to About phone and tap the Build Number 7 times.
2) Now go to installation directory open ADB folder and open the command window thereby pressing and hold the ‘shift’ key and right-clicked anywhere in that folder.
3) Now connect your phone to PC and reboot the device into fastboot mode by typing
adb reboot bootloader
4) You are in Fastboot mode now to check your connection by entering below command in command prompt. It will return your device serial number means your device properly connected. Check your driver if the above command is not responding.
5) Type the below command correctly in command prompt one by one –
adb push dirtycow /data/local/tmp adb push recowvery-applypatch /data/local/tmp adb push recowvery-app_process64 /data/local/tmp adb push recowvery-run-as /data/local/tmp
Above will save recowery to temp folder. Continue pushing the below steps.
adb shell $ cd /data/local/tmp $ chmod 0777 * $ ./dirtycow /system/bin/applypatch recowvery-applypatch
“Wait for Completion”
$ ./dirtycow /system/bin/app_process64 recowvery-app_process64
“Wait for Completion, your phone will look like it’s crashing”
adb logcat -s recowvery
“<wait for it to tell you it was successful, then press CTRL+C>”
adb shell reboot recovery
“<wait for phone to boot up again, your recovery will be reflashed to stock>”
adb shell $ getenforce
“<it should say Permissive, adjust source and build for your device!>”
$ cd /data/local/tmp $ ./dirtycow /system/bin/run-as recowvery-run-as $ run-as exec ./recowvery-applypatch boot
“<wait for it to flash your boot image this time>”
$ run-as su #
“<play around in your somewhat limited root shell full of possibilities>”
dd if=/sdcard/twrp-3.0.2-0-beta4-h918.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recovery
The above step will flash TWRP Recovery on LG V20.
6) With above command, you installed the custom recovery on LG V20.
Install TWRP and Root LG v20
1) Once you’ve got the permissive shell in adb, you will access to your partitions via dd.
2) Now transfer TWRP to your internal storage (rename it to twrp.img) using MTP. you can also just use
3) You can use adb push to flash the TWRP
4) Now enter the following commands in command window once again.
adb push twrp-3.0.2-0-beta4-h918.img /sdcard/twrp.img adb shell $ run-as exec dd if=/sdcard/twrp.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/recovery "<wait for it to complete>" $ reboot recovery
5) You should be inside TWRP now. It will ask you if you want to enable system modifications. You should tap “Never show this screen on boot again”, and Swipe Yes to allow modification.
6) Now flash SuperSu and Dm variety disabler to turn off the forced encryption at boot and allow you to boot a modified system.
7) Now Go to “Wipe” section and tap “Format Data”, and type “yes” (It will Disable Force Encryption)
8) Done! Now reboot your device.
So this is the complete step by step guide to Root and Install TWRP Recovery on LG V20. If you have any questions, then comment below.
Source – XDA