In recent years, many companies have been implementing Wi-Fi tracking to increase their work efficiency. It’s currently used in hospitals, stores, warehouses, and factories. Using a Wi-Fi-based tracking system, you can quickly determine the location of objects in buildings and control their movement in real time. Asset tracking minimizes theft, improves staff safety, and helps streamline business processes.
What is a Wi-Fi Asset Tracking System
A Wi-Fi tracking system is a digital platform that allows you to monitor asset location indoors. It provides users with a wide range of features that help track objects in real time. The system displays the location of the object on the digital map, determines the various access zones, and saves the tracking history for further analysis and optimization of the company’s work.
A wireless indoor tracking system is based on radio frequency wireless technology. In different places in the building, special beacons are installed to calculate the location of objects using Wi-Fi access points. The data received is transmitted to the server for further processing, and then displayed for users in a mobile app on their smartphones. Tracking can work with already existing infrastructure and calculates locations with an accuracy of up to 15 ft.
Wi-Fi tracking provides the following benefits to companies:
- Reducing the time spent on searching for equipment: the system eliminates the need for staff to search for lost assets on their own. All tracked objects are displayed on the digital map, so employees can save time, which is sometimes lost due to aimless wandering.
- Preventing equipment loss: especially relevant for companies that constantly deal with a large number of valuable assets (such as medical facilities, pharmaceutical companies, etc.). The platform instantly detects the removal of equipment outside the building and sends notifications accordingly.
- Improving operational efficiency: thanks to tracking systems, you can improve inventory management. The system allows the management to predict any asset requirements and to replace, maintain or repair them on time.
- Increasing engagement: thanks to the system, push notifications with any valuable information can be sent to visitors and staff.
- Minimizing the number of emergencies: using Wi-Fi tracking, you can monitor the movement of mobile equipment or vehicles, and prevent collisions with other assets or people.
Benefits of Implementing Wi-Fi Asset Tracking
Wi-Fi indoor location tracking successfully works in conjunction with other devices. The advantages of indoor Wi-Fi tracking are the following:
- Working with an already existing infrastructure: access points that are already in place at your company can be used to operate the system. You don’t need to install new equipment, which reduces implementation costs.
- Big range: tags can interact with all the access points scattered throughout the building. With a frequency of 2.4 GHz, the Wi-Fi system typically operates at a distance of up to 330 ft and can even be used outdoors.
- Constantly updating the location in real time: using the system, you can track objects at the current moment. The system builds detailed maps of the building, allowing users to precisely control the movement of assets.
- Easy integration with other positioning systems: indoor localization using Wi-Fi can be used with many technologies, which can increase the accuracy of calculating the location. It works with both traditional systems (such as fingerprinting or RSSI) and more advanced ones like AoA, Wi-Fi RTT, or ToF.
- Easily scalable: if needed, the system can always be expanded to determine location across different industries or use cases.
Which industries can benefit from indoor Wi-Fi tracking?
Wi-Fi indoor location tracking is widely used in many industries. The most prominent examples have been found in retail, offices, and healthcare.
With Wi-Fi-based tracking, you can control the staff. Each staff member is provided with a badge that is worn on clothing and contains a tag with a unique ID. Thanks to wearable equipment, it’s possible to prevent visits to prohibited areas, detect those who come in late, and correct everyday tasks. If a non-standard situation occurs at the mall, an employee immediately receives a notification and can be sent to take care of it.
In office buildings, Wi-Fi tracking can be used to monitor office equipment. With its implementation, it’s much easier for the management to control expensive equipment and prevent its removal from the building. If needed, the platform allows you to coordinate the staff, delegate tasks, and share your location.
Introducing tracking systems into the infrastructure of medical facilities opens up more opportunities for controlling the equipment. With it, you can track defibrillators, IVs, wheelchairs, and other devices that can be taken outside of the medical facility. Asset tracking allows you to streamline the management process, reduce staff time searching for equipment, and decrease costs.
To sum up, Wi-Fi indoor location tracking allows companies to operate more efficiently. Using the system, you can keep track of valuable assets, as well as reduce the costs of purchasing and maintaining expensive equipment.