COVID-19 pandemic rapidly spread across the world and it is causing widespread concern, substantial increases in anxiety, and depression. During these hard times, it is important that we check on each other, call and video chat, and should be sensitive to the unique mental health needs of those we care for. Still, people are likely to be experiencing worry, anxiety, or a fear of what it means to receive medical treatment. These are natural and normal reactions to the changing and uncertain situation that everyone finds themselves in. On a positive note, there are many Online therapies that can initiate people to protect their mental health at this crucial time.
What is Online Therapy?
Online Therapy is a way to communicate with a licensed mental health professional online via the internet. You can communicate with your counselor via live chat, telephone, text messaging, or video chat. One of the most touted benefits of online therapy is the fact that you can do it any time, anywhere. Online therapy services may even make the process of finding someone to speak with easier by expanding the number of licensed therapists you can pick from, eliminating the need to go to a physical location for an appointment.
Does Online Therapy Work During COVID-19?
During the Covid-19 pandemic, people are stuck at home during the lockdown period and there is no option to go outside. If it’s difficult for you to go to a therapist’s office or you can’t access a therapist in person, video appointments and online therapies can be as effective. Seeing someone online allows you to have an appointment without ever leaving your home. The process of booking online therapy is quick and easy and you have an option to choose over 7,000 licensed and certified therapists. Online therapy costs slightly less than traditional therapy and you won’t have to pay for transportation or miss as many hours of work.
Benefits of Online Therapy
- Flexible Timing – One of the most touted benefits of online therapy is the fact that you can do it any time, anywhere. With online therapy, you can receive help 24/7, or while you are on-the-go.
- No Boundaries – With online counseling, there is no longer a need to seek out help within your city limits. You have the ability to connect with a psychologist that’s not in your area.
- Cost-Effective – Online therapy costs slightly less than traditional therapy and you won’t have to pay for transportation or miss as many hours of work.
- Flexible Format – Online therapy enables you to open your therapy app and get help right away. You can use a combination of messaging, audio, and video, or a typical session over webcam.
- Privacy – Your chat sessions are secured by various bank-grade encryption levels, which only you and your therapist can access. Using online therapy provides users with complete privacy and confidentiality.
Our Recommendation – BetterHelp
BetterHelp is the world’s largest network of licensed, and experienced counselors who can help you with a range of issues including depression, anxiety, relationships, trauma, grief, and more. It has more than 7,000 licensed professionals who helped more than one million people on their platform. BetterHelp offering unlimited online therapy sessions between you and your therapist and you can communicate with your counselor via live chat, telephone, text messaging, or video chat.
BetterHelp has a secure and dedicated chat room that only you and your therapist can access. It is fully HIPAA compliant and secured by 256-bit encryption. It does an outstanding job of protecting your information.
Signing up is very simple. During the sign-up process, you’ll be asked to complete an online questionnaire to provide some general and anonymous background about you and the issues you’d like to deal with in online therapy. After answering the questionnaire, BetterHelp will pair you with a specialized counselor to fit your needs.
We think that BetterHelp is a wonderful way to have affordable access to a counselor and I would highly recommend it.