When people decide to buy a mattress, many become overwhelmed by watching the number of options available. There are quite a few mattress sizes and variants available. For sure, there are standard sizes, but you can customize them also.
Many people buy mattresses just to fit them in their rooms. For instance, if a room measures 12 by 12 feet, a mattress less in size will be an ideal fit. But besides that, there are other factors that you must consider while buying a mattress: durability, comfort level, broadness, firmness, and more.
You have to keep in mind your sleep position and how many people are sharing the bed. You must get a mattress that can be easily moveable too. You should do a thorough analysis before selecting the one that best compliments your lifestyle.
Another essential factor is the mattress material which you cannot ignore. They come in various forms like foam or latex mattresses or the traditional innerspring ones. A few may have components that a person may be allergic to. So, before you buy, know the factors. For instance, a mattress made of natural latex does not contain toxins and is rendered safe for all.
Buying a mattress is a challenging decision, but you can purchase one that suits you best with an easy guide. Keep reading.
Mattress dimension guide
Apart from personal preference, there are specific other criteria to choose a mattress size, like your bedroom size. You cannot buy something more significant than your room, also not a tiny mattress and not aligned to your room’s appearance. Here we tell you about the different mattress sizes available in the market to help you decide.
- King mattress: As the name suggests, it is a royal size. It gives ample space to each person sleeping on it. It is ideal for large rooms. It is a good option for someone taller and broader than the average person. The king also comes with varying sizes, most common being eastern king and Western King, aka California king-size bed. The east king measures 80 inches by 76 inches, giving an area of 6080 inches, versus the California king size measures 84 inches by 72 inches providing the site 6048 inches. The eastern king size is better at width, whereas the California king size is ideal for tall people. When it comes to room dimensions for these mattresses, they should be the size enough to accommodate these large mattresses. If a room measures 12 by 12 feet, it will accommodate both these mattresses, but a standard size would be 13 by 15 feet.
- Queen mattress: This is the most common mattress size used. They are standard size to accommodate two people. Most preferred by couples and people who like to have extra space while sleeping. The dimension is 60 inches by 80 inches. It is much bigger than other beds and does need a good amount of space in the bedroom to fit. To set a queen size mattress, the room must measure about 10 by 12 feet
- Full-size mattress: It is more comprehensive than a single-size mattress and looks like a mini queen. It is also called a double bed mattress. It is recommended for outgrowing teenagers and young adults. It lies between a single and a queen size mattress.
- Twin mattress: It is also called a single-size mattress. Mostly suited for toddlers to early teenagers. The dimension of the twin mattress is 39 inches by 74 inches. The recommended room size for twin mattresses would be 10 by 10 feet.
- Crib mattress: A crib is ideal for newborns, infants, toddlers. They are tiny and take up very little space. The recommended room size would be 7 by 10 feet so that there is enough room for the child to play.
An average person spends about one-third of their life sleeping; that is why you should know whether you are sleeping on the material is safe or not. But maximum people do not look into this matter and look for just comfort and their budget. This makes a few companies not disclose the harmful products or chemicals used during the production of a bed. It becomes challenging for an average person to determine whether the mattress has toxic components or not.
While buying a mattress, check whether your bed has toxic materials. The toxins contain volatile organic compounds, leading to short-term side effects like headaches, dizziness, irritation to the eyes and respiratory tract, etc. These can also have long-term side effects like nausea, fatigue, kidney liver, and CNS damage. It also increases the risk of cancer.
While purchasing a mattress, one should buy an organic mattress that is eco-friendly and safe for long-term usage. Some examples of non-toxic mattresses are:
Natural latex: Unlike synthetic latex, natural latex does not contain toxins and harmful chemicals. These are acquired from rubber tree sap, making them free from volatile chemicals.
Organic wool: This material is resistant to dust mites and fire and is quite effective as a mattress material. Not only this but it should be filled with organic cotton and have organic surface fabric so that it becomes genuinely non-toxic.
Organic cotton: Mattresses made from organic cotton are considered non-toxic because they are reaped on land without pesticides and herbicides. Organic cotton mattresses are expensive, but it reduces the health risk in the long run.
How to classify a mattress as non-toxic:
While buying a mattress, a person should check and look for the following labels to confirm non-toxic Mattresses:
- CertiPUR-US certification
- Global organic textile standard (GOTS)
- Global organic latex Standard (GOLS)
There are numerous mattress sizes available in the market and made of various materials. Before finalizing any mattress, the size and the fabric are something to ponder upon. Choose a mattress that best suits your room décor and also good for your health. It is a one-time investment, and you should be mindful of the purchase.