Oh, to communicate without misconstrued tones and confusion. If there is one key thing for all employees in every workplace, it’s the ability to communicate effectively. When you ensure that you foster this environment, you create conditions that will make your employees feel valued, engaged and inspired. This also leads to employees who are happier and more productive in their work.
You need the right tips and effective strategies for communication with your staff and within your employees, too, and this will lead to improving employee and employer relations. Below, we’ve got some tips to help you to be better at your communication in the office. Let’s take a look!
- Schedule weekly meetings. Even if the one to one meetings are fifteen minutes long, you need to ensure that you are holding these! There is a lot of positivity out there and to better engage your employees, you can ensure that they feel that positivity. When you don’t give your staff the one-on-one time they need, you don’t give them the face time that will make a difference to the way that you all work together. You need to be able to relate to your peers better, and your employees will feel happier if they know they have a time to give feedback to you about your business, you can keep it working well and so can they!
- Spend ten minutes. Every single morning, take ten minutes to “huddle” – no, you do not have to actually huddle! A ten minute update to talk to your team about the agenda about to happen is vital to get everyone on the same page every morning. It doesn’t have to take long, but it will ensure that every employee is happier and working better.
- Discuss goals. Quarterly development conversations give you a chance to give feedback to your staff and ensure that they all feel like their goals are being heard. This is so important when it comes to managing your people in the workplace. The more people understand what they’re doing right and wrong, the better they can work. When you take these measures, all of your office will appreciate it.
- Technological investments. How are you communicating with people? Are you using the same tech platforms all around or are you having two or three conversations among different platforms? You should streamline your communication on your technology and ensure that you’re not trying to have multiple conversations with the same people at the same time. The more you check your technology the better.
- Get personal. The one key way that people will communicate with you is when they trust you. They will do this when you try to get to know them as people outside of the business, and that’s easy enough to do when you make a point of scheduling lunches and drinks, a coffee and a chat, etc. You can take your staff one by one or by team, and you can ensure that you all work together better because you’ve made that effort to be more personal and discuss their goals. This tells them that you care about them and you want them to do well. The more you get to know your team, the more you’ll understand how they work and what they could do to make life in the office more relaxed.
- Ask your employees what they need. If you want to improve your communication in your office, you need to ask people what they need to communicate better. Some people need different things than others, and you should do what you can to figure out how your employees work. If you can ensure that they work to the best of their ability and foster great communication in the office, you will have a happier workforce.
- Be approachable. If you’re the type of employer that is approachable and willing to fight for their team, your staff will want to work for you. They will want to talk to you and communicate with you, and they will want to continue to work with your business. This is one of the best ways to ensure that you are offering your employees the best possible care and attention.
Communication is the key for every single business. Whether you are changing the technology you use to communicate with your patients or you are working out the kinks and making your teams communicate across a range of platforms, you need to talk to your people. Take the time to research the right ways to communicate with people and you will be much better at it!