O-MG, the Developer Preview of Android O is here! Google in its Official Blog unleashing a developer preview of the next major version of Android, “Android O“. Google usually release its new OS for developers at its annual Google I/O developer conference but this time, they surprised everyone with its early release. The new Android O Developer Preview comes with tons of new features but this initial Android O Developer Preview for Google Pixel and Nexus Devices is for developers only and not intended for daily or consumer use. From below you can Download Android O Developer Preview and Android O Factory Images for Google Pixel/ XL, Nexus 5X, 6P, Player, And Pixel C.
Google isn’t yet releasing this as an OTA and Android Beta is not currently available for Android O as the company only intends to release it for developers who want to get a head start on getting their apps ready. But if you want to try it on your device then Download Android O Developer Preview for Google Pixel and Nexus Devices from below. Download Android O Developer Preview for Nexus and Pixel devices from below.
There were two method to get Android O Developer Preview on your device either install Android O developer preview OTA Updates through Android Beta Program (Not available for now) or Download Android O Factory Image for Pixel and Nexus Devices and flash it manually. Here we provide the download link for Android O Developer Preview for Google Pixel and Nexus Devices and method to install it manually.
Android O Developer Preview Features –
- Background limits: Android O puts a big priority on improving a user’s battery life and the device’s interactive performance. Background limits represent a significant change in Android.
- Notification channels: Android O also introduces notification channels, which are new app-defined categories for notification content.
- Autofill APIs: Users now select an autofill app, similar to the way they select a keyboard app. The autofill app stores and secures user data, such as addresses, user names, and even passwords.
- PIP for handsets and new windowing features: Picture in Picture (PIP) display is now available on phones and tablets, so users can continue watching a video while they’re answering a chat or hailing a car.
- Font resources in XML: Apps can now use fonts in XML layouts as well as define font families in XML — declaring the font style and weight along with the font files.
- Adaptive icons: To help you integrate better with the device UI, you can now create adaptive icons that the system displays in different shapes, based on a mask selected by the device.
- Wide-gamut color for apps: Android developers of imaging apps can now take advantage of new devices that have a wide-gamut color capable display.
- Connectivity: For the ultimate in audio fidelity, Android O now also supports high-quality Bluetooth audio codecs such as LDAC codec and added new Wi-Fi features as well, like Wi-Fi Aware, previously known as Neighbor Awareness Networking (NAN).
- Keyboard navigation: Android O building a more reliable, predictable model for “arrow” and “tab” navigation that aids both developers and end users.
- AAudio API for Pro Audio: AAudio is a new native API that’s designed specifically for apps that require high-performance, low-latency audio. Apps using AAudio read and write data via streams.
- WebView enhancements: Android O, Google enabling multiprocess mode by default and adding an API to let your app handle errors and crashes, for enhanced security and improved app stability.
- Java 8 Language APIs and runtime optimizations: Android now supports several new Java Language APIs, including the new java.time API. In addition, the Android Runtime is faster than ever before, with improvements of up to 2x on some application benchmarks.
Download Android O Developer Preview for Google Pixel and Nexus Devices
Download Android O Developer Preview Factory Image –
- Factory Image of Android O Developer Preview for Nexus 5x – Download
- Factory Image of Android O Developer Preview for Nexus 6p – Download
- Android O Factory Image for Nexus Player – Download
- Android O Factory Image for Pixel C – Download
- Factory Image of Android O Developer Preview for Google Pixel – Download
- Factory Image of Android O Developer Preview for Pixel XL – Download
- Download Android O Factory Image for your device from above.
- Make sure ADB and Fastboot driver installed (Check out How to setup ADB and Fastboot on windows and Setup ADB and Fastboot on Mac)
- Unlock Google Pixel Bootloader
- Installing Factory image will wipe all your phone data so take Complete Backup of your Device before proceeding.
How to Install Android O Developer Preview Factory Image on Pixel and Nexus Devices –
Unlock Bootloader to Install Android O
1) First enable ‘USB debugging’ and ‘OEM Unlock’ option from setting>developer option>. To enable Developer Options, go to About phone and tap the Build Number 7 times.
2) Go to ADB installation directory and press and hold ‘shift’ key and right-clicked anywhere in the folder and select ‘Open command window here’.
3) Now connect your device to PC and enter into the fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
4) You are in Fastboot mode now to check your connection by entering below command in command prompt.
5) To unlock bootloader of Pixel on Android O, go to the command line and type below command. It will only take seconds to complete the process.
fastboot flashing unlock
6) Now your device will reboot into bootloader mode.
Flashing Android O Factory Image on Pixel and Nexus Devices
1) Download the Android O factory image for your device and unzip it.
2) Connect your device to the PC over USB and Enable USB Debugging option from setting>developer option>.
3) Now connect your device to PC and enter into the fastboot mode. To enter in fastboot mode press and hold ‘Volume Up + Volume Down + Power’ button or by typing “adb reboot bootloader”
4) Open the command prompt and navigate to the unzipped system image directory.
5) Now Execute the “flash-all.bat“, it will unzip the image files and install the necessary bootloader, baseband firmware(s), and operating system. The step will install Android O Developer Preview on Nexus and Pixel devices.
If flash-all.bat file now works you can pass all commands manually by –
1) First, flash the bootloader and the radio
fastboot flash bootloader <bootloader file name here>.img fastboot flash radio <radio file name here>.img fastboot reboot-bootloader
2) Flash the recovery, boot, and system
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img fastboot flash boot boot.img fastboot flash system system.img
3) Now a full wipe, flash cache and userdata
fastboot flash cache cache.img fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
4) Reboot your device
So this the complete guide of install and Download Android O Developer Preview for Google Pixel and Nexus Devices. If you have any doubts comments below.