Sony has released the Android N Developer Preview for two versions of Sony Xperia Z3 (D6603 and D6653). Xperia Z3 is the first Non-Nexus or Google’s Android One device which receive the Android N Update. It’s surprisingly fast for Sony as Android Marshmallow found its way to the Xperia Z3 last month. If you own a Sony Xperia Z3, you can manually update it to Android N. Once you Install Android N Developer Preview on Xperia Z3, you will continue receive the further Android N OTA updates directly from Sony.
Unlike other Google’s own devices, you won’t get the Android N Update Over the Air by enrolling for the Android N preview online. Instead, you have to manually install Android N Developer Preview on Xperia Z3 D6603 and D6653 with the help of Xperia Companion software. After you update Xperia Z3 to Android N, you will receive the future updates over the air direct from Sony. You will get all Android N Features after updating Xperia Z3 to Android N. Check how to manually install Android N Developer Preview on Xperia Z3 D6603 and D6653 from below.
Features of Android N Developer Preview for Xperia Z3 –
Multi-window – This new multitasking feature lets users view two apps or Activities at the same time, with the system resizing them as needed to fit the device or tablet screen. All apps targeting Android N are resizeable unless they opt-out, so make sure your layouts and resources are optimized.
Bundled notifications – You can use the Notification.Builder.setGroup() method to group your app’s notifications together for easier scanning.
Direct reply notifications – Use the RemoteInput notification API to enable users to respond quickly to notifications, without leaving the notification shade.
Efficiency – Adapt your apps to use Doze to save even more power in Android N. There are also new behaviors in Project Svelte, aiming to reduce the memory needs of Android.
How to Install Android N Developer Preview on Xperia Z3 –
1) First, connect your Xperia Z3 (D6603 or D6653) to a computer via USB cable.
2) After connecting your device Xperia Companion will open automatically.
3) Make sure you have on Xperia Companion version 1.1.24 or later. If not, download the latest version from here.
4) Now Hold down the ALT key on your computer and click on Software repair option from the home screen of Xperia Companion software, and follow the guide.
5) You’ll be asked to disconnect and turn off your device, then to reconnect whilst holding down the volume downkey to start the software flashing.
6) You can return to factory settings at any time by connecting back to Xperia Companion and following the Software repair.
Make sure to remember that Android N Developer Preview is intended for developers, not for usage as primary software.
Before you Install Android N Developer Preview on Xperia Z3, keep in mind that this is a developer preview of Android N for Xperia Z3 and it is intended for developers and you may encounter bugs or some issues. Once you flash it, don’t forget to give feedback to developers. Also, Let us know your thoughts about Xperia Z3 Android N update in the comments below.
Source – Sony