Nexus 5X is the Google’s flagship device from LG. Nexus 5X comes with powerful specs which give you a lag-free experience. With nexus phones you will always get updated with latest android version. In this guide, we will help you to root and install custom recovery on Nexus 5X. But before you root Nexus 5X, you need to unlock its bootloader (check How to Unlock Bootloader of Nexus 5X ). So before we explain to you how to root and install custom recovery on Nexus 5X, you can check why you should root your device.
Some benefits of Rooting –
- You can install custom ROM and custom kernel on your device for faster and better performance.
- Block Ads in apps with the help of ad blocker.
- Increase performance and battery life by killing background process automatically.
- After root and install custom recovery on Nexus 5X you can install Xposed Framework to customize your device
- You can use Titanium Backup to restore all of your apps and data.
- You can uninstall bloatware (Pre-installed Apps)
- Rooting may void your phone warranty, and you won’t claim it back.
- Follow the steps correctly otherwise you may brick your device. We are not responsible for any damage of your phone.
- It will erase all your personal data including data of internal storage, so we advise you first to take a complete backup of your phone and then proceed.
- Ensure that your phone has at least 50-60% charged to prevent the accidental shutdown in-between the process.
Files required to Root Nexus 5X and Install TWRP recovery on Nexus 5X –
- 1) Download ADB and fastboot driver for windows or ADB and Fastboot for Mac and install it on your PC. This will also install your device driver.
- 2) Download and install Universal ADB driver for Nexus 5X if above doesn’t work.
- 3) Download TWRP Recovery for Nexus 5X and place it in the folder where ADB installed and rename it to ‘recovery.img’.
- 4) Download SuperSu to root Nexus 5Xand copy it to your phone sd card.
How to Root and Install Custom Recovery on Nexus 5X –
1) First enable USB debugging from setting>developer option>. To enable Developer Options, go to About phone and tap the Build Number 7 times.
2) Now go to installation directory open ADB folder and open the command window thereby pressing and hold the ‘shift’ key and right-clicked anywhere in that folder.
3) Now connect your phone to PC and reboot the device into fastboot mode by typing “adb reboot bootloader”.
4) In command prompt type “fastboot devices” and hit enter, it gives you serial numbers in return means your phone connect properly otherwise check the device driver again.
5) Type this command correctly in command prompt without quotes “fastboot flash recovery recovery.img” and then press enter. It starts flashing recovery on your phone.
6) Now type “fastboot boot recovery.img“ in command prompt it will reboot your phone into recovery mode. Now you successfully installed custom recovery on Nexus 5X.
7) With above command your phone boot into the recovery mode.
8) In TWRP recovery navigate to Install Zip and select ‘SuperSu.zip’.
9) Swipe to install SuperSu and reboot your device. That’s it, you root and install custom recovery on Nexus 5X successfully.
So this is the complete guide of how to root and install custom recovery on Nexus 5X with easy steps. If you have any questions, then comment below.