Nexus 6P is the latest Google flagship device with top notch hardware and latest software. Although Nexus 6P comes with powerful specs which give you a lag-free experience you can always root your device to gain full access and for extra customization. In this guide, we will help you to root and install custom recovery on Nexus 6P. But before you root Nexus 6, you need to unlock its bootloader (we already cover that on our previous post). So before we explain to you how to root and install custom recovery on Nexus 6P, you can check why you should root your device.
Some benefits of Rooting –
- You can install custom ROM and custom kernel on your device for faster and better performance.
- Block Ads in apps with the help of ad blocker.
- Increase performance and battery life by killing background process automatically.
- After root and install custom recovery on Nexus 6P you can install Xposed Framework to customize your device
- You can use Titanium Backup to restore all of your apps and data.
- You can uninstall bloatware (Pre-installed Apps)
- Rooting may void your phone warranty, and you won’t claim it back.
- Follow the steps correctly otherwise you may brick your device. We are not responsible for any damage of your phone.
- It will erase all your personal data including data of internal storage, so we advise you first to take a complete backup of your phone and then proceed.
- Ensure that your phone has at least 50-60% charged to prevent the accidental shutdown in-between the process.
Files required to Root and Install custom recovery on Nexus 6P –
- 1) Download ADB and fastboot driver for windows or ADB and Fastboot for Mac and install it on your PC. This will also install your device driver.
- 2) Download and install Universal ADB driver for Nexus 6P if above doesn’t work.
- 3) Download TWRP Recovery for Nexus 6P and place it in the folder where ADB installed and rename it to ‘recovery.img’.
- 4) Download SuperSu to root Nexus 6P and copy it to your phone sd card.
How to Root and Install Custom Recovery on Nexus 6P –
1) First enable USB debugging from setting>developer option>. To enable Developer Options, go to About phone and tap the Build Number 7 times.
2) Now go to installation directory open ADB folder and open the command window thereby pressing and hold the ‘shift’ key and right-clicked anywhere in that folder.
3) Now connect your phone to PC and reboot the device into fastboot mode by typing “adb reboot bootloader”.
4) In command prompt type “fastboot devices” and hit enter, it gives you serial numbers in return means your phone connect properly otherwise check the device driver again.
5) Type this command correctly in command prompt without quotes “fastboot flash recovery recovery.img” and then press enter. It starts flashing recovery on your phone.
6) Now type “fastboot boot recovery.img“ in command prompt it will reboot your phone into recovery mode.Now you successfully installed custom recovery on Nexus 6P.
7) You are in recovery mode now or press “Volume UP+Down+Power Button” to enter into recovery mode.
8) In TWRP recovery navigate to Install Zip and select ‘SuperSu.zip’.
9) Swipe to install SuperSu and reboot your device. That’s it, you root and install custom recovery on Nexus 6P successfully.
So this is the complete guide of how to root and install custom recovery on Nexus 6P with easy steps. To verify root access, just download root checker from Google Play store and confirm if your device has gained root access. If you have any questions, then comment below.