Now you can easily Install TWRP Recovery and Root Mi5s & Mi5s Plus. The phone already available in the market and if you bought the phone and looking for a way to root Mi5s & Mi5s Plus then you are in the right place. Here we share how to Install TWRP Recovery and Root Mi5s & Mi5s Plus. First, you need to install TWRP Recovery on Mi5s or Mi5s Plus and then flash SuperSu to Root Mi5s. Recently, TWRP recovery got updated with material designed to TWRP 3.0.0. That means you can install the latest TWRP 18.104.22.168 on Mi5s or Mi5s Plus. Follow this guide to Install TWRP Recovery and Root Mi5s & Mi5s Plus.
If you are a Mi5s or Mi5s Plus user, then you can Root and Install TWRP Recovery on Mi5s & Mi5s Plus. Thanks to developers who provide the unofficial TWRP for Mi5s & Mi5s Plus. So here is the step by step guide to Root and Install TWRP Recovery on Mi5s & Mi5s Plus. Read the below note carefully before you Install TWRP Recovery and Root Mi5s & Mi5s Plus.
Some benefits of Rooting –
- You can install custom ROM and custom kernel on your device for faster and better performance.
- Block Ads in apps with the help of ad blocker.
- After you root Mi 5s and install TWRP on it, you can install Xposed Framework to customize your device
- Increase performance and battery life by killing background process automatically.
- You can use Titanium Backup to restore all of your apps and data.
- You can uninstall bloatware (Pre-installed Apps)
- First you need to Unlock the bootloader of Mi5s & Mi5s Plus. (Check How to unlock Bootloader of Mi5s & Mi5s Plus)
- Follow the steps correctly otherwise you may brick your device. We are not responsible for any damage to your phone.
- It will erase all your personal data including data of internal storage, so we advise you first to take a complete backup of your phone and then proceed.
- Ensure that your phone has at least 50-60% charged to prevent the accidental shutdown in-between the process.
Files required to Root and Install Custom Recovery on Mi5s & Mi5s Plus –
- Download ADB and fastboot driver for windows or ADB and Fastboot for Mac and install it on your PC. This will also install your device driver.
- Download TWRP Recovery for Mi5s
- Download TWRP Recovery for Mi5s Plus
- Download SuperSu to root Mi5s & Mi5s Plus and copy it to your phone sd card
How to Install TWRP Recovery and Root Mi5s & Mi5s Plus
Install TWRP on Mi5s or Mi5s Plus –
1) First enable USB debugging from setting>developer option>. To enable Developer Options, go to About phone and tap the Build Number 7 times.
2) Now go to installation directory open ADB folder and open the command window thereby pressing and hold the ‘shift’ key and right-clicked anywhere in that folder.
3) Now connect your phone to PC and reboot the device into fastboot mode by typing
adb reboot bootloader
4) You are in Fastboot mode now to check your connection by entering below command in command prompt. It will return your device serial number means your device properly connected. Check your driver if the above command is not responding.
5) Type the below command correctly in command prompt and then press enter. It will install TWRP recovery on Mi5s & Mi5s Plus
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
6) Now type below command to boot into recovery.
fastboot boot recovery.img
7) Now follow below steps without leaving TWRP.
Root Mi5s & Mi5s Plus –
1) With above command your phone boot into the recovery mode.
2) Now select your preferred Language and set it to what you want, tap “Never show this screen on boot again”, and Swipe allow modification.
3) Now Go to “Wipe” section and tap “Format Data”, and type “yes” (If you want to mount internal storage).
4) Now without leaving TWRP, transfer the SuperSu zip to your device over MTP.
5) Now from the main menu navigate to Install Zip and select ‘SuperSu.zip’ to root Mi5s & Mi5s Plus.
6) Swipe to install SuperSu and reboot your device.
So this is the complete guide of how to Install TWRP Recovery and Root Mi5s & Mi5s Plus with easy steps. If you have any questions, then comment below.
thank you for the great support having said that I still need some help: when I try to fastboot the way described, after the fastboot flash recovery recovery.img command the answer is ‘cannot load recovery.img’ – what to do from here?
same thing happens when I try to flas the global Version of Miui 8 via MiFlash – it can’t find the path to the data that is to be flashed…
Did you rename it recovery.img? Did you place the file where ADB installed?
Rename what to recovery.img ?
To recovery file which you can download it from here Download TWRP Recovery for Mi5s
after putting the .img file in adb folder and entering the fastboot flash recovery recovery.img command it fails while writing recovery and says (remote: Partition flashing is not allowed)
what should i do?
Did you unlock your device bootloader?
Does it support MIUI OTA?
No after rooting you won’t get OTA updates.
Cheers buddy, cut my google fu time considerably you having this page up
fastboot boot recovery.img
After entering that step it opens the screen in chinese and i have no clue how to select language
Check the below link to change TWRP language to English or other.
Hello, when I reach step 4) Now without leaving TWRP, transfer the SuperSu zip to your device over MTP. I cant transfer the file. MTP is enabled and I can see the device on my computer. I can enter it and then enter “internal storage”.
But then I cant copy SuperSU in the folder. The window of the transfer appears but freezes right after. How can I transfer the file with MTP without using copy/paste in windows explorer?
It should work this way. Did you format data before trying to transfer files via MTP? Other than that you can use USB OTG.
Wipe data means all my pictures will be gone?
Wipe data means all your app data will be deleted. Personal files and photos usually not deleted but why to take risks always backup first.
change the zip file to recovery.img or unzip it and then
rename it ?? thanks in advance
Yes first unzip the file and then rename ZCX-TWR-3.0.2-X-MI5S-Capricorn-16.10.02.img file to recovery.img.
He didn’t mention to rename twrp as recovery.img, copy path by pressing a CTL button and paste it after typing flash recovery , so that the command will look as described above
Yes thanks for that I’ll update the post..You should rename the recovery file to recovery.img